We have a tag , with a synonym :

For questions about determining and representing the meter of a poem, a practice called scansion.

Can we change the master tag name to , and have as a synonym instead? I'm pretty sure the word "meter" (in the context of poetry) is more likely to be familiar to most people than "scansion". It's worth noting that most of the questions with the tag have either been asked by, or had the tag edited in by, high-rep users.

  • 1
    I think I already asked a mod about this in chat some time ago, but got no response. So here I am on meta.
    – Rand al'Thor Mod
    Commented Dec 27, 2018 at 12:35
  • 1
    Wow, that was a fast 7 upvotes, especially over the Xmas period. Seems there's more active meta users than I'd thought.
    – Rand al'Thor Mod
    Commented Dec 28, 2018 at 15:04

2 Answers 2


Yes! Metre (or "meter" if we must use American English) refers to the rhythmic structure of verse, whereas scansion refers to determining the metre. However, not all questions about metre are about how to determine the metre.

Unless we really need to distinguish between questions about scansion on the one hand and other questions about metre on the other, I think we should make the tag scansion a synonym of metre or meter.


Done; there seems to be a pretty strong sentiment in favor of switching them around, so... I switched them.

will now remap to . (Tags are supposed to be in American English, but I took the liberty of adding as a synonym of , for all you Brits out there.)


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .