Professor of English, philologist, Philhellene, Master Scuba Diver, bicycle tourist, amateur thespian and Savoyard. As an ’umble teacher of composition, I make my poor living being a bit more prescriptivist than some of the gentlemen of leisure who can afford to be purer scientists and scholars (“scholar” from the Greek σχολή, leisure).
Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
Member for 2 years, 4 months
0 profile views
Last seen Aug 12 '18 at 12:26
Top network posts
- 48 Why is "like" as in Facebook likes often put between quotes?
- 34 What causes the euphemisation of medical terms?
- 24 Is there another meaning for the phrasal verb “jerk off,” besides “masturbate”?
- 23 Why "ruled supreme" instead of "ruled supremely"?
- 22 What does “and counting” in “Bits of plastic in oceans: 5.25 trillion and counting” mean?
- 21 Finished off the night "with a rubber"
- 20 Specific word for man who has an ungentlemanly attitude towards a romantic partner
- View more network posts →