Chappo Says SE Dudded Monica
Pronouns: they/them. My gender identity isn't relevant on this site.
To Stack Exchange: Stop treating our community like a disposable commodity.
In Sept 2019, Stack Overflow ("Stack Exchange") demonstrated how corporate, callous and incompetent it had become by singling out a respected and hardworking moderator, dismissing and publicly humiliating her, ignoring the community's calls for healing, indeed refusing even to speak to Monica until it finally went to the lawyers (the SE community having crowdfunded over $25,000 for her legal representation), and settling out of court with only the lamest public statement of "regret". I hope the confidential settlement cost SO/SE $100,000 or more - a mere fraction of the company's weekly revenue.
I joined hundreds of other outraged SE users in taking a public stand in support of Monica: posting on Meta, changing our profiles, and going on "strike": no posting, voting or undertaking community moderation tasks on non-meta SE sites. Now that Monica has agreed to a settlement, I'm lifting my "work" bans, but for the time being I'm keeping my Reinstate Monica avatar.
Member for 1 year, 6 months
8 profile views
Last seen Nov 9 '19 at 15:12
- English Language & Usage 3.3k 3.3k 66 gold badges1717 silver badges2929 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 1.9k 1.9k 33 gold badges99 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- Literature 1.1k 1.1k 22 gold badges55 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Astronomy 1k 1k 22 gold badges99 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Writing 800 800 22 gold badges66 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 183 Stack Overflow is doing me ongoing harm; it's time to fix it!
- 36 What is the term for the incorrect use of a similar sounding word when writing?
- 25 An apology to our community, and next steps
- 15 Monica's situation continues unresolved. Is SE hoping the problem just goes away?
- 13 What would be good "call to action" elements for "Reinstate Monica" profiles?
- 13 What do "former" and "latter" refer to, here?
- 13 What is the word for individuals who unwittingly post very similar questions asking for the same words, without doing any previous research?
- View more network posts →